Bexley Moorings Project was established in 1981 and now enjoys widespread recognition and support in the local community. We are a registered charity working in the London Borough of Bexley to provide effective support for vulnerable young people, with the help of volunteers.
We are an early intervention support service that offers one-to-one befriending and specific group sessions to young people, aged 8-17, who may be experiencing material or emotional deprivation, in crises, at risk or have a caring responsibility.
Each young person is individually assessed for suitability, including willingness to join the programme, so we can tailor the support needed.
Our volunteer befrienders work on a one-to-one basis and offer focused non-judgmental support, positive experiences, advice and an adult role model. Through befriending young people grow in confidence and positively change their behaviour.
We offer groups for young people that will benefit from social interaction and peer support.
- Journey 10 for young people low in confidence or exhibiting low-level behaviour problems to increase their confidence and social skills. Support length: 10 sessions.
- Assisting Social Development (ASD) for young people diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorders to improve their social skills. Support length: 10 sessions.
- Young Carers supports those under the age of 18 who care for someone affected by a long term illness, disability or alcohol/substance misuse. Support length: Flexible.
- Young Adult Carers supports those between the age of 18 and 25 years who care for someone affected by a long term illness, disability or alcohol/substance misuse and also provides assistance and advice regarding education, health and employment.
- Youth Intervention Programme (YIP) is a joint programme with the Integrated Youth Services supporting young people in the north of the Borough who have come to notice due to risk taking behaviour possibly including notification to the Youth Offending Team.
Longlands School funds a Moorings worker to provide direct parenting support within the school.