Bexley Moorings Project is a charity that supports young people aged 8-17 living in the London Borough of Bexley. Young people who meet our criteria are offered an adult befriender and/or the chance to attend one of our groups.
All our volunteers have been CRB checked and cleared by social services and their GP. We also check two personal references and they undogo training.
The purpose of a befriender is to support the young person with any problems they are having and help them grow in confidence. The befriender will meet the child they are matched with frequently.
We run groups for young people who will benefit from social interaction or peer support. The groups we offer are:
- Journey 10 for young people low in confidence or exhibiting low-level behaviour problems to increase their confidence and social skills
- Assisting Social Development (ASD) for young people diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorders to improve their communication and social skills
- Young Carers supports those under the age of 18 who care for someone affected by a long term illness, disability or alcohol/substance misuse
- Young Adult Carers for those aged beween 18 and 25 years who care for someone affected by a long term illness, disability or alcohol/substance misuse
- Youth Inclusion Programme (YIP) for young people experiencing difficulties at home or school leading to them getting into trouble